Do you need an Explosives Transport Drivers Licence?

In Western Australia (WA), the transportation of explosives is regulated by the Dangerous Goods Safety (Road and Rail Transport of Non-explosives) Regulations 2007 and the Dangerous Goods Safety (Explosives) Regulations 2007.

According to these regulations, drivers who transport explosives on public roads in WA must hold a valid Explosives Transport Driver Licence (ETDL). The ETDL is issued by the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety (DMIRS), and is a mandatory requirement for all drivers involved in the transport of explosives, including those who transport, load, unload or handle explosives.

All dangerous goods transporters need credentials that prove they have taken the time to study and pass exams on the safety, rules and regulations of transporting various harmful goods.

Dangerous Goods Licence

Common Questions on Explosives Driver’s Licence Training:


What Do You Need for The Safe Transport of Explosives?

To safely transport explosives in Western Australia you will need an explosives transport driver’s licence.

Not only will the training to obtain a licence ensure that each driver knows the rules, regulations, and safe handling information required to transport explosives safely, but holding a licence is required by law for most explosives transport.

It is important to keep in mind that you will need to complete a 2-day Dangerous Goods Drivers Licence Course before you can enter the Explosives Transport Licence Course.

What Explosives Don’t Require an Explosives Transport Licence?

Some explosives don’t require drivers to hold an explosive driver’s licence. This can be due to the lower-risk nature of the explosives or even cover dangerous explosives that are transported in smaller amounts.

Here are some explosive types and quantities that don’t require an explosives driver’s licence:

  • Flares (less than 50kg)
  • Sparklers (any quantity)
  • Propellant Powders (less than 50kg)
  • Primers (any quantity)

See official list here.

However, if you are not required to hold a valid explosives transport licence, you may be legally required to provide adequate security during transport, as well as ensuring you hold a transport document for the consignment in the emergency information holder and observe general operational requirements under the Explosive Regulations.

Please ensure you research the exact rules around the type and quantity of explosives you are transporting.  


Who Needs an Explosive Driver’s Licence?

Anyone transporting explosives by road, rail or water and is the primary contractor is likely to need a valid explosives driver’s licence.

That said, it is always important to research the exact requirements in detail.

Eg. A shotfirer that holds a current shotfirers licence, can transport up to Category 2 Risk explosive quantities without an explosives licence. More information on this available on the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety.

This licence is also required for drivers employed under the primary contractor.

To hold an explosive transport driver’s licence, you need to be at least 21 years old, have a regular clean driver’s licence, have cleared a medical exam, and hold no previous criminal convictions.

Please note that anyone transporting, receiving or storing explosives also requires a Dangerous Goods Security Card (DGSC).


Get Your Explosives Transport Drivers Licence with Nationwide Training.

Suitable for commercial drivers, our 1-day Explosives Transport Licence course gives you all the knowledge and expertise you need to safely transport explosives around Australia.

We have onsite training available across Western Australia.

Contact our office for a quote.

Call our expert team on (08) 9445 7766 or visit our contact page.